Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Suomenlinna 1


I love the colours in this scene. As I was getting ready to take this shot, a little girl ran in and I felt that the 'scene' was ruined. But she seemed to have added more colour. What do you think?
The building (looks like a painting to me) is a church in Suomenlinna. This island fortress can only be reached by a ten minute ferry ride from Helsinki. I was there today with my mum and sis. Expect to see more Suomenlinna this week.

Suomenlinna is a UNESCO World Heritage site and popular with both tourists and locals, who enjoy it as a picturesque picnic site. Originally named Sveaborg (Fortress of Svea), or Viapori as called by Finns, it was renamed Suomenlinna (Castle of Finland) in 1918 for patriotic and nationalist reasons, though it is still also known by its original name. Read more in wikipedia...

Official Website

1 comment:

Janet said...

I like the addition of the little girl in the red coat. I can see why this place is popular with tourists. Beautiful structure and grounds.